Tuesday 10 February 2015

The voice of the sea speaks to the soul

"The voice of the sea is seductive; never ceasing, whispering, clamoring, murmuring, inviting the soul to wander for a spell in abysses of solitude; to lose itself in mazes of inward contemplation.
The voice of the sea speaks to the soul. The touch of the sea is sensuous, enfolding the body in its soft, close embrace." Kate Chopin

There is something about the sea that enriches my soul and leaves me feeling rejuvenated and centred.

As a child I grew up on an island that could only be accessed by boat. This idyllic setting was the canvas in which many of my fondest childhood memories where created. Sailing on a Saturday, searching for mud crabs on low tide, riding my bike with my best friend until dusk, hand reel fishing. Good old fashioned fun... no computers, social media or mobile phones in sight. no worries. no responsibilities.

There is nothing I love more than swimming in the ocean. I feel instantly revitalised and as if a weight is lifted as soon as I become one with the water. I think the enormity of the ocean puts things  into perspective.

This past weekend I took a trip with little Alfie to Sydney to visit my gorgeous family. To my delight we had the opportunity to take a day trip to the beach. I do believe that distance makes the heart grow fonder and after 9 years of living inland nothing excites me more than a visit to the beach.
I have become over sensitive to this experience and as I floated in the water at the mercy of the rolling waves I noted the little things I am thankful for;

- The sound of the waves crashing in
- Taste of salt on your lips and the tingling feeling as it dries on your skin
- Coolness of water 
- Concoction of smells salt, seaweed, sun cream
- The feeling of sand between your toes
- Lasting foot prints in the sand
- Colour palate of blues, turquoise, greens, greys

I could not wipe the smile off my face!

What does a trip to the sea do for you?

x Grace







No comments: